21 February 2004

So, watching this whole thing that has happened on Joe's blog has me thinking about ownership issues. It's almost beyond an intersection of public & private here. It's Joe's blog, and the argument has absolutely nothing to do with anthing he said. Is the space his anymore? But it's public space. Anyone can post there. So he doesn't own it. Neither do any of the others own each others' blogs, yet they want to control the space, what gets said about whatever else. Is something that someone says about you yours or that person's? Who owns words?

And what about authorship here. You don't write your own blog. But it's yours, so we think, "it's my blog and I write it." Well, not really. We all write each other's blogs together. We shape them together. I write about books, movies, etc. because that's what my friends write about. I don't write about too many really personal things because I don't want people to read them. But some things that I don't consider all that personal could be used to represent me in ways I don't want to be represented, so I can't actually control this. There's a lot of inter-authorship (is that a word? I just don't think co-authorship works here) going on in a blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home